Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 60


Just before I step out of my bed onto the hard wood floor in the morning, I take a few minutes to pray. This morning it was for the orphans..and than for me. 

I have a letter I wrote to myself the week before this project started and a magazine picture of some Africa children taped to my wall. It's usually the first thing I see in the morning. It reminds me to pray for them, the project, the status of my heart. 
Sometimes, when I have hard days I read the letter I wrote to myself. It's a funny thing, because maybe I thought that pledging to wear the same dress for a year would be somewhat easy. It sounds hard when you first think about it, but really, it shouldn't be. I think about the people that only have one article of clothing. One shirt. One pair of shoes. They wear what they have because it's all they have. They may never get the opportunity to decide whether they'd like to wear the red dress or the floral one. The plaid button up or the navy blue sweater your mom bought you for your last birthday.
I've just been realizing all I have. All I own. All I don't use and don't need. I had a very materialistic heart when this project started. I still do. But it's slowly being taken over and re-examined. I'm grasping a little bit of selflessness. What it feels like to have less choice in something like what you wear & to be grateful in all you have.

Lastly, I want to say thank you for the donations! We have made a gigantic step of almost one hundred dollars in the last week or so. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment